Little Girl Skirts
I finally did a little sewing! The work crew is done in my bedroom, so this past Thursday I set up a temporary sewing space in there and whipped out a couple of little girl skirts. My inspiration was this patchwork skirt. However, I was not able to find charm packs of coordinating fabrics at my local fabric shops (not even the quilt shop). So I decided to use only one fabric for the main skirt panel. I chose the fabrics for Clara's skirt (she's the smaller one). The fabric for the ties and the main skirt fabric are quilting cottons. The accent band at the hem is a lightweight polyester satin. Lucy chose her own fabrics. The waistband fabric is a lightweight lavender twill, the main skirt fabric is a quilting cotton with silver glitter accents and the accent band at the hem is a spandex-y silvery dance fabric. Fall is fast upon us here, so I chose to line the skirts with Bemberg to increase their warmth (a minor amount) and to help them keep from sticking to tights later this season.
I made only two main mistakes in the construction of these skirts: Firstly, made the waistband to their hip measurement plus seam allowances. I should have added another inch or so for ease in getting the skirts on and off. Secondly, I read the instructions incorrectly and made the ties the width of the fabric. Notice:
Clara is holding the end of one of Lucy's ties. I have since trimmed 20 inches off the ends of each of the ties.
But the skirts are still good for a spin!