Vacation Pattern Acquisition Part 3 - Serendipity Studio

Hello Everyone! I am back from a brief radio silence due to a virus of some sort. Thankfully there is a good computer shop nearby.


What you almost see in that reflective photo are the three patterns that I WON from Serendipity Studio! Kay Whitt, the designer for Serendipity Studio, has a blog called Sew Serendipity (and a book by the same title, I might add) and hosted a giveaway. Hooray!

From left to right the patterns are: The Claire Cami Dress SDG-110, The Rachel Cross Body Bag SDG-111, and The Monique Dress SDG-109. Each pattern retails for $11. Aren't I a lucky duck?

What's better? I have already made a muslin, noted changes, and cut out the fashion fabric for the Monique! I am making mine out of a dark wash chambray. Instead of facings I am going to line the dress so that it might get more use in the fall and spring when layering is a must. I picked up some tomato red bemberg today and it is now washed, dried, ironed, and ready to cut.

I am also thinking about piping the waistband, neck, and armhole edges. I picked up some rattail today, too. I think I want to make the piping out of the same chambray. This way the piping adds texture and definition, but not contrast. What do you think?

I also have a metal zipper which could either be exposed or lapped. I am leaning toward lapped, right now, and I included extra seam allowance on the center back to accommodate this change. The instructions call for an invisible zipper, but I have had trouble in the past with invisible zippers and piping.

I am really hoping that I have found a tried and true dress!

Comments

Invisible zippers and piping are definitely an uneasy match--lapped or exposed is a better call. Lucky score on the patterns!

Popular Posts