Handbag Status and Thrift Store Finds

I had hoped to get farther along on my bag, but it just wasn't happening. I have also given up exposed zippers in a welt opening with a pocket bag behind. That's just too much for me to work out without a pattern and instructions. At least, too much to be done soon.

So my bag is all in pieces. The lining still needs to be cut out, but I'm not exactly sold on the print. The interfacing is fused to the outer fabric. With any luck, I will be able to get it rolling this week.

No sewing this Wednesday, however. We were away visiting friends on Vancouver Island over the weekend, so David lost days of work and has meetings on Wednesday. Hopefully, I will be able to have sewing time on Thursday or Friday.

While we were away we stopped at a few thrift stores. Here are a few of the things I picked up:




Up first, an original Trivial Pursuit and Mastermind game! Peter has really taken to Mastermind, so now I just have to find someone willing to play Trivial Pursuit with me...



Next are some lovely sewing things, each for 25 cents. Clockwise from upper left:
  • Threads magazine from September of 199something. I haven't even looked through it yet. It was a sure buy, because as best as I can figure, EVERY issue of Threads has gold within its pages.
  • Spadea Sewing Book from the 1960s - a compilation of some construction tips from clothing designers. It's full of the same helpful hints that are now all over the internet and current sewing books, but it is written in a way that makes you feel like an insider.
  • Vintage Simplicity pattern for dolls and doll clothes. I don't know that I will ever make it, but it was impossible to leave.
  • Anchor 100 Embridery Stitches book. I began fiddling around with embroidery a little while back, chiefly to have handwork to do at meetings and the playground (when other people knit or crochet). I checked out a couple of books from the library, but now I have one of my own - and, since it is small, it will be easier to carry!
  • The Busy Woman's Sewing Book by Nancy Ziemann. I don't know how helpful this text will be, but it was hard to leave behind as well.
I'll leave with a snapshot from our weekend:


That's David with our kids and two of our friends' kids on a little suspension bridge at Bright Angel Park. A very nice little park where you can throw rocks or splash in the water (splashing in the warmer weather) as well as play at a lovely playground with real teeter totters and a merry-go-round (or wheel of death as our friends call it).

Comments

What fun finds! My mom gave me a little booklet of embroidery stitches a couple of years ago. It is so cute.
Jean said…
Great finds! I picked up some old issues of Threads recently (from the 90s as well) and they are a gold mine of information.

Popular Posts